Isthmian League

Winning run ends with hard fought draw

The Hawks six game winning run ended with a 2-2 draw in West Sussex at Haywards Heath Town. After four postponements on the run it was a welcome return to league action, but the Hawks found it difficult to get going in a very difficult first half dominated by the home side.

There was an early disallowed goal from Duane Ofori-Acheampong after six minutes, but little else of note as Heath pressed high, frequently disrupting Hawks midfield passing on a tricky surface, and then looking dangerous when they got the ball into the box.

Heath’s best chance fell to the normally reliable Trevor McCreadie, who inexplicably blazed over an open goal after rounding James Broadbent on 21 minutes, when a tap in would have done. Ten minutes later Broadbent made a trademark last ditch save to deny what looked a certain goal from Kieran Rowe, as he closed in on a deep right-wing cross. There was another lucky escape on 37 minutes when Ryan Warwick had a shot deflected onto the bar and Kacper Lopata blocked the rebound on the line. Broadbent saved again, this time at his near post, as McCreadie closed in on goal just before the break.

There were some feisty exchanges too, with Luke Emberson picking up his first yellow card of the season after 20 minutes, both Byron Napper and David Martin having an altercation and getting themselves booked 15 minutes later, soon to be followed by Heath’s skipper Lloyd Cotton for a late tackle on Henry Muggeridge.

The Hawks were relieved to get into the dressing room at half-time level, emerging in the second with Lucas Rodrigues replacing Martin. Cheered on by a healthy away support, the Hawks were now more in the game and looking dangerous on the break, especially down the right.

Just before the hour mark a move started by Rhyle Ovenden in midfield ended with an Emberson cross being deftly finished by Ahmed Abdulla, his first goal since his return. Warwick restored parity 10 minutes later from close range after Callum Saunders had pulled back a deep cross.

Hawks were in front again with ten minutes remaining after a Rodrigues cross shot was converted at the far post by a sliding Muggeridge. This time the lead lasted only three minutes, when a Warwick knock down was converted from close range by Saunders.

Hawks: Broadbent, Emberson, Banya, Kissock, Lopata, Hamilton-Omole, Muggeridge (c) (Tighe 90’), Ovenden, Ofori-Acheampong, Abdulla, Martin (Rodrigues 46’)

Subs not used: Walsh, Torres, Unwin

Heath: Glover, Morrison, Summerfield, L Cotton (c), Cooper, Spinks, Saunders, Napper, McCreadie (Anderson 84’), Warwick, Rowe (Graves 90’)

Subs not used: N Cotton, Ryder, Akinwande

Booked: Emberson, Martin, Rodrigues (Hawks): L Cotton, Napper ,Morrison (Heath)

Referee: Tristan Greaves

Attendance: 337

Leave a Reply