Isthmian League

Hawks Through In Emirates FA Cup

Whitehawk 2-0 Saltdean United

A confident second half performance saw Whitehawk progress to the First Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 2-0 win over a resilient Saltdean United side. The visitors included former Hawks Harry Shooman and Danny Turner in their side.

Chances were few and far between in the opening third of the game, with Alex Laing having a header saved by Hawks keeper James Broadbent after just 3 minutes in the only substantial chance of that period. The rest of the half was rather uneventful with only each side managing half chances on goal, with the game being dominated by fouls by both teams.

Hawks started the second half on the front foot and after 53 minutes Harrison Parker brought down Lucas Rodrigues inside the penalty area. David Martin put the memories of missing a penalty in the Hawks’ last home outing behind him by conveting confidently past a helpless Tyler D’Cruz. The lead could have been doubled just 2 minutes later if it wasn’t for Matt Gunn blocking a Lucas Rodrigues chance at close range. Saltdean’s task of levelling the game up was made harder after 61 minutes as defender Parker, already on yellow for bringing Rodrigues down for the penalty, once again brought the winger down just outside the penalty area earning himself a second booking.

The opening goal and playing against 10 men spurred Whitehawk on and they started to dominate as John Paul Kissock did well to break forward and find find Alfie Rogers in acres of space. His looping strike being met by an excellent save by Tigers keeper D’Cruz.

Ian Robinson came on for his debut with just under 15 minutes left and made an immediate impact attacking down the left. The game was sealed with 6 minutes to go after Rodrigues brilliantly weaved his way through the defence, cut inside the penalty area and curled a beautiful effort past a helpless Saltdean keeper. This was the type of goal that Sky Sports would show repeatedly – and a fitting way to seal the Hawks progress into the next round.

Hawks: Broadbent, Walsh, Banya (Robinson 76’), Emberson, Lopata, Hamilton, Rodrigues (c), Kissock, Rogers, Tighe (Waters 85’), Martin (Deda 85’) – Subs Not Used: Unwin, Zabadne

Tigers: D’Cruz, Parker, Craddock, Pittock, Shooman (c), Gunn, Turner (Bickell 66’), Berry, Laing, Smith, Street (Akehurst 66’) – Subs Not Used: Tapscott, Colthurd-Walls, Hance

Goals: Martin pen 53’, Rodrigues 84’ (Whitehawk)

Yellow Cards: Martin (Whitehawk); Craddock, Shooman, Parker (2), Smith (Saltdean)

Red Cards: Parker – Second Bookable Offence (Saltdean)

Attendance: 350

Hawks Man of the Match: John Paul Kissock

Comments (1)

  1. 2biographer


Leave a Reply