Isthmian League

Hawks Stun Hendon To Progress in FA Trophy

Whitehawk 4-1 Hendon

Whitehawk stunned Southern Premier League South strugglers Hendon in awful conditions as they took their place in the Buildbase FA Trophy Second Qualifying Round with a remarkable 4-1 victory.

The Hawks had the games opening chance after four minutes with Connor Tighe intercepting a loose pass in the Hendon defence, to tee up John Paul Kissock who side-footed narrowly wide.

Tighe was involved in the second chance of the game and this time it resulted in a goal with the forward cleverly flicking a Dave Martin cross from the left past Chris Grace. The Hawks doubled the lead after 20 minutes as Henry Muggeridge, on his return from injury, found himself behind the Hendon defence and although his shot was well save by Grace, the ball fell as far as Tighe who chipped the ball over the keeper and defenders from 20 yards out for the Hawks, and his, second goal of the game.

Hendon started the second half incredibly quickly looking for a way back into the game as after just 15 seconds, Amartey had a shot well saved by Hawks keeper James Broadbent. Nine minutes later Tighe was denied his hat-trick after a smart save by Grace following a low cross by captain Muggeridge. Hendon had another chance to get back into the game just a few minutes later with keeper Broadbent having to be at full stretch to make a great stop to deny Amartey, the ball then fell to Dons captain Connor Calcutt who fired wide from close range.

The Hawks could have had the game wrapped up after 70 minutes as Muggeridge played in substitute Duane Ofori-Acheampong who headed in, but he was a yard offside. Under a minute later Hendon had a goal back as Calcutt slotted past a helpless James Broadbent. The fast-paced action continued as only a minute after that, the Hawks were awarded a penalty in comical circumstances from a Hendon free-kick near the corner flag. The kick, taken by keeper Grace, was passed to defender Luke Tingey inside his own box, but Tingey bizarrely then decided to stop play with his hand to re-take the kick, resulting in a penalty which was comfortably scored by Martin to restore the Hawks’ two goal margin.

The game then turned into a stroll for the Hawks as eight minutes from time, Lewis Unwin hit a low shot from 25 yards out for his first ever senior goal.

Hawks: Broadbent, Walsh, Emberson, Kissock, Lopata, Torres, Muggeridge (c) (Rodrigues 76’), Unwin, Ovenden (Rogers 82’), Tighe (Ofori-Acheampong 68’), Martin – Subs Not Used: Deda, Campbell (GK), Munt, Elwood

The Dons: Grace, Hall, Byron, Manesio (Stray 79’ [Cook 88’]), Tingey, Noel-McLeod, Hope, Mitchell (Ogbonna 79’), Calcutt (c), Amartey, English – Subs Not Used: Todd, Cook, McGleish

Goals – Tighe 7’, 20’, Martin 73’, Unwin 82’ (Whitehawk); Calcutt 71’ (Hendon)

Yellow Cards – Martin (Whitehawk); Noel-McLeod (Hendon)

Hawks Man of the Match – Lewis Unwin

Attendance – 207

Leave a Reply