September 6, 2014
Score: 1 - 4

Match Report

Terrific win ‘on the road’ – comes with a cost.

Manager Steve King’s quote: “That was a professional performance on a day when we had lots of problems to deal with … cards, knocks, decisions, injuries: we dealt with everything that came our way.”

It’s Non League Day and with reduced admission prices, a good crowd of 556 is enjoying the late summer sunshine.

It’s a very hot day and the crowd are noisey – almost all of the noise is aimed at the referee, who is ‘on the end of it’ from both sets of supporters.

This continues throughout the game.

Bath are a ‘physical’ side and and the referee makes no one happy today.

Early skirmishes in both directions, with the Hawks working up the slightly sloping pitch and showing from early on that they will be the most threatening of these two sides.

It’s 15 minutes in when Whitehawk ‘keeper John Sullivan is called into action, and he makes a very strong two fisted block from close range to deny Bath’s Andy Watkins.  When Bath had another dangerous break on 33 minutes Paul Lorraine was there to shepherd the ball out.

Whitehawk might have had a penalty a few minutes later when Bath keeper Jason Mellor appeared to foul Hawks’ striker Serge Makofo, an injury that Makofo couldn’t shake off and he was substituted some minutes later, being replaced by the returning Sam Gargan.

On 43 minutes a brave challenge by Pa Saikou Kujabi, which saw him receive a knock in the face and the ball rebound through to Danny Mills who burst past his defender and stuck the ball across the advancing keeper into the far corner for the opening goal.

A minute later Paul Lorraine was injured and forced to leave the field being replaced by Callum Driver.

Early in the second half Pa Saikou Kujabi hit a thumping 22 yards shot that was ‘a goal all the way’ into the top corner with the keeper barely able to move.  Both sets of supporters admitting to a goal of the highest quality.

The third goal was another classy move as Callum Driver hit the ball crossfield to Sam Deering, who beat his marker and picked out Danny Mills who finished from 8 yards.

Sam Deering made it 0-4 to Whitehawk from the penalty spot after 65 minutes, after his own run into the box was interrupted by Bath’s Pat Keary.

Chances flowed for the visitors, with lots of good passing and another long range effort from Kujabi.  Matthew Barnes-Homer, on as a substitute for Danny Mills, hit the post after being fed by Sam Gargan.

A clean sheet looked a possibility, but on 88 minutes Tom Cadmore was given a straight red card and Bath’s Ross Stern scored the resultant penalty. Cadmore got some of the ball in his challenge and red seemed quite harsh.



Red Card



Leave a Reply