Isthmian League

Whitehawk vs Saltdean United


Emirates FA Cup 2019-20

The TerraPura Ground

Saltdean United
2 - 0
Final Score
- 1 (85')Dave Martin - 1 (53')
Game Statistics
0 Yellow cards 4
0 Red cards 1


James Broadbent Goalkeeper
Luke Emberson Midfielder
Marvin Hamilton Defender
Connor Tighe Forward
Dave Martin Forward 53'
Lew Unwin Midfielder


Whitehawk 2-0 Saltdean United

A brilliant second half performance has seen Whitehawk progress to the First Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 2-0 win over a resilient Saltdean United side.

Chances were few and far between in the opening third of the game, with Alex Laing having a header saved by Hawks keeper James Broadbent after just 3 minutes in the only substantial chance of that period. The rest of the half was rather uneventful with only each side managing half chances on goal, with the game being dominated by fouls by both teams.

The Second half started in a similar fashion, though the Hawks were given a lifeline after 53 minutes will Harrison Parker bringing down Lucas Rodrigues inside the penalty area. Up stepped David Martin, who put the memories of missing a penalty in the Hawks’ last home outing against VCD Athletic behind him by smashing the ball past a helpless Tyler D’Cruz. The lead could have been doubled just 2 minutes later if it wasn’t for Matt Gunn blocking a Lucas Rodrigues chance at close range. Saltdean’s task of levelling the game up was made harder after 61 minutes as defender Parker, already on yellow for bringing Rodrigues down for a penalty, once again brought the winger down just outside the penalty area earning himself a second booking.

The goal and playing against 10 men spurred Whitehawk on and they started to dominate as John Paul Kissock did brilliantly to break up the field to find Alfie Rogers in acres of space with his great looping strike being met by an equally great save by Tigers keeper D’Cruz. The game was sealed with 6 minutes left after Rodrigues brilliantly weaved his way through the defence, cut inside the penalty and curled a beautiful effort past a helpless Saltdean keeper for an absolutely sensational goal, the type of goal the Sky Sports would show repeatedly! Despite Saltdean’s battling efforts, they were unable to find a way back into the game and the Hawks will progress to the First Qualifying Round.

Hawks: Broadbent, Walsh, Banya (Robinson 76’), Emberson, Lopata, Hamilton, Rodrigues ©, Kissock, Rogers, Tighe (Waters 85’), Martin (Deda 80’) – Subs Not Used: Unwin, Zabadne

Tigers: D’Cruz, Parker, Craddock, Pittock, Shooman ©, Gunn, Turner (Bickell 66’), Berry, Laing, Smith, Street (Akehurst 66’) – Subs Not Used: Tapscott, Colthurd-Walls, Hance

Goals: Martin 53’, Rodrigues 84’ (Whitehawk)

Yellow Cards: Martin (Whitehawk); Craddock, Shooman, Parker (2), Smith (Saltdean)

Red Cards: Parker – Second Bookable Offence (Saltdean)

Attendance: 350

Hawks Man of the Match: John Paul Kissock


The TerraPura Ground