Hayes & Yeading United vs Whitehawk

August 8, 2015
Score: 3 - 4

Match Report

Hayes & Yeading United vs Whitehawk FC

Saturday August 8th

The opening day of the season was a blisteringly hot one and the game was a scorcher!
The Hawks started nervously as H & Y bullied the game from the off with plenty of long balls over the top. The first goal came after only 3 minutes as an H & Y player lofted a free kick high into the box and a defensive miscommunication saw Benyon slot it home. H & Y kept the pressure on and soon after, Arnuad Mendy was booked for a strong tackle. Soon after, Hawks Captain Lee Hills went over on his knee and had to be stretchered off and replaced by new boy Chris Sessegon. Things got worse for the Hawks as Mendy picked up a second yellow and was given his marching orders for bringing down the H & Y attacker in the box. The resulting penalty was converted by Ehui, putting Hayes 2-0 up after only 23 minutes. Only a minute later, it was the opposition who ended up on the bad side of the referee as they were reduced to 10 men when the H & Y player scrapped with Jake Robinson on the floor and kicked out at him. This was the turning point for Hawks as they quickly set about their usual slick passing possession style of football. Sam Deering launched a wicked ball forward to Jake Robinson who cleverly beat the offside trap to pull a goal back for Hawks in the 33rd minute. Hawks kept piling on the pressure but a defensive error saw a loose back pass picked up by Williams of H & Y, who beat Ross one on one. But that didn’t stop a determined Sergio Torres smashing in a beautiful goal in added time to make it 3-2.

HT: Hayes & Yeading united 3-2 Whitehawk FC

The second half saw the Hawks attack with vigour, passing the ball around and keeping H & Y pinned in their own half. On 54 minutes Jake Robinson made a dangerous run into the box and slipped the ball across the goal for stand-in captain Danny Mills to bundle over the line. Two minutes later, an almost carbon copy of the goal came when Nick Arnold played a clever ball to Jake Robinson, who again pulled the ball across the goal for Danny Mills to net his second of the game. After that the Hawks were fully in control and could have made the score line much larger, with Mills hitting the crossbar. It ended 4-3 to the Hawks in a perfect example of why you can never write the Hawks off. Up next: Margate on Tuesday night!

FT: Hayes & Yeading United 3-4 Whitehawk FC

Man of the match: Danny Mills
Attendance 188

Match report and photos by David Hunt


vs GoalGoalYellow Card
vs GoalAssistAssist
vs Goal
vs AssistAssist
vs Yellow Card
vs Yellow CardRed Card