August 13, 2016
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Whitehawk suffered their second defeat of the new season after Maidenhead United came from behind to win a tight affair at the Enclosed Ground.

Dave Tarpey scored either side of the break after Danny Mills had given the hosts an early lead to give the Magpies a 2-1 win.

Whitehawk got off to a flying start, with Mike West’s cross from the right deflected and picking out Danny Mills, who rose highest at the near post to head beyond Carl Pentney for a seventh minute lead.

Gabriel Yan then saw his low effort saved by the Magpies keeper, before United came back into the game, and drew level before the half hour mark.

James Mulley’s pull back found Dave Tarpey inside the area, and he turned under no challenge before firing into the far corner from 16 yards.

Pablo Asensio’s side went immediately on the front foot in a bid to regain their lead, and came close to doing so moments after when Duncan Culley cut inside from the left, but saw his goalbound effort blocked by Charlie Wassmer.

Into the second period, and the Hawks went on the offensive early on, with Ahmed Abdulla’s corner picking out Albi Llenga, but he couldn’t direct his header on target.

However, it was Maidenhead who went in front nine minutes after the break. Llenga was booked for a foul on the edge of the Hawks area, and Tarpey stepped up and curled a great strike into the top right corner, giving Covolan no chance at full stretch.

The Hawks looked to equalise straight away, with Mann’s ball in picking out Sergio Torres at the far post, but his looping header produced a fantastic save from Pentney, who tipped the ball over the bar.

Llenga then headed narrowly wide from Abdulla’s cross from the right as Asensio’s side continued to push forward, before Maidenhead came close to a third.

Harry Pritchard’s dangerous ball in picked out Tarpey in the middle, but he couldn’t hit the target from inside six yards as he bid for his hat-trick.

Whitehawk then came close to levelling 13 minutes from time when Mann’s corner picked out Torres, but he headed just wide of the top corner.

The hosts continued to attack Alan Devonshire’s side, with Mills and then substitute Wilfried Tagbo both firing off target in the final ten minutes, but couldn’t find an equaliser.

Shots: WHK 11-9 MND, Shots On Target: WHK 5-5 MND, Corners: WHK 7-3 MND, Fouls Committed: WHK 15-10 MND, Offside: WHK 1-4 MND, Bookings: WHK 2-0 MND, Red Cards: WHK 0-0 MND

Pictures by David Hunt.


Yellow Card