The match between Whitehawk and Oxford City was abandoned at half time after a floodlight failure at The Enclosed Ground.

The Hawks were leading 2-1 at the break after an own goal and Michael West saw them come from behind, with Marlon Jackson giving City the lead.

It is believed the failure was caused by water from the recent wet weather affecting the electrics in one of the floodlights, causing a short circuit. Despite the hard work of electricians who turned up quickly, they were unable to fix the fault before the referee decided to abandon the game.

On the pitch, the Hawks started quickly with Laurie Walker turning Jake Robinson’s effort around the post after meeting a Sam Deering free-kick, before Deering himself saw an effort on goal go just off target.

Great defending then kept Oxford at bay when Jackson ran on to a ball over the top to go one on one with Craig Ross, but Paul Lorraine recovered to make a terrific last-ditch tackle.

It was Justin Merritt’s side who went ahead 25 minutes in. Declan Benjamin did well to work himself into the penalty area, before slotting the ball beyond Craig Ross and into the bottom corner.

The Hawks continued to look a threat going forward, and deservedly equalised five minutes before the break. Jake Robinson did well to deliver a ball in from the right, and the unlucky Lee Henderson deflected the ball into his own net at the near post.

However, the Hawks turned the game around before the break when Deering found the feet of West who slammed the ball into the top corner, giving Walker no chance at the near post.

Despite that, it proved to be in vein as a floodlight failure caused the match to be abandoned at half time, with a 45 minute delay before referee Daniel Cook called the match off. However, minutes afterwards, all of the lights appeared to come on, much to the frustration of everyone in attendance.

Hawks: Ross, Arnold, Braham-Barrett, Mendy, Leacock, Lorraine, Deering, Torres ©, Robinson, Mills, West. Subs: Stevens, Rose, Morias, Neilson, Sessegnon.

Oxford: Walker, Bevan, Lapoujade ©, Fleet, Henderson, Arzamendi, Roberts, Benjamin, Bubb, Jackson, Isaac. Subs: Lafuente, Santiago, McDonagh, Pifarre.

Shots: WHK 9-3 OXC, Shots On Target: WHK 4-1 OXC, Corners: WHK 1-1 OXC, Fouls Committed: WHK 5-7 OXC, Offside: WHK 2-0 OXC, Bookings: WHK 0-1 OXC, Red Cards: WHK 0-0 OXC.

Leave a Reply