January 8, 2019
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Whitehawk 1-2 Worthing Bostik Premier League: Game 23

Jalen Jones made a goalscoring debut for Worthing last night, but they needed a close-range finish by Ollie Pearce in the 83rd minute to secure the points in a slow-burner of a Bostik Premier derby.

Jason Williams’ second-half leveller threatened to give Whitehawk a point they possibly deserved in their survival battle, instead Jones, a 20-year-old former Crystal Palace youth teamer, helped the visitors secure the sort of hard-earned away win on which promotion pushes can be built. His 44th-minute goal reflected the game as a whole – not exactly a thing of beauty but coming from a melee in which the endeavour and commitment of neither side could be faulted. Both teams struggled to get any sort of passing game going, despite the best intentions of Worthing playmaker Darren Budd and his Whitehawk counterpart Lewis Unwin. But it was certainly a competitive scrap – and bad-tempered at times – with a couple of late stings in the tail.

Worthing sub Jared Rance, who went on for the injured Jesse Starkey, fired the only chance of the first half-hour over the bar after a cross found him beyond the far post. Connor Tighe’s free-kick, forced by lively work from Lucas Rodrigues and drilled across the box, led to a bout of pinball in the Worthing penalty area but no effort on goal. And that was it for the first 40 minutes in terms of dangerous moments. That at least gave Jones, on the left of Rebels’ back three chance to settle. His arrival was only revealed when the squad arrived at East Brighton Park.

Jones produced an excellent tackle late in the half as the last defender when Aarran Racine’s awful pass gave Williams a chance to run. The value of that intervention was increased a minute from half-time when Jones prodded home from a corner as the ball bounced around the Hawks box. Rebels almost doubled their lead on the hour in a terrific passage of play out of keeping with much on view. Alex Parsons scampered away down the right and his low cross picked out Pearce, whose first-time shot forced a super reflex stop from Melvin Minter.

But Hawks levelled with a moment of equal quality on 79 minutes. Fintan Walsh delivered a super cross from their right and Williams soared at the far post to head back across Kleton Perntreou. Whitehawk pressed for a winner but, when an attack broke down, David Ajiboye raced away on a lightning counter raid before crossing low for Pearce to finish. That proved to be the winner although Hawks might still have rescued a point in the final seconds when Sinn’Kaye Christie shot into the side-netting after a scramble.

Hawks: Minter, Walsh, Broughton, Unwin, Goode, Christie, Rodrigues (c), Emberson, Williams, Hallard (Deda 70′), Tighe (Marsh-Brown 61′) Unused subs: Sisimayi, Addy, Cooklin.

Rebels: Perntreou, Colbran, Jones, Budd, Barker, Racine, Ajiboye, Aguiar, Pearce, Parsons (Clarke 75′), Starkey (Rance 3′) Unused subs: Skerry, Pattenden, Rents.

Goals: Williams 78′ (Whitehawk); Jones 44′, Pearce 83′ (Worthing) Yellow Cards: Marsh-Brown, Broughton, Emberson (Whitehawk); Pearce (Worthing)

Man of the Match: Fintan Walsh

Attendance: 273.

Referee: Lee Dyson. Report by Brian Owen.


Luke EmbersonYellow Card
Lucas Rodrigues
Fintan WalshAssist
Lewis BroughtonYellow Card
Reece Hallard
Aaron Goode
Jason WilliamsGoal
Melvin Minter
Connor Tighe
Lewis Unwin
Sinn’Kaye Christie


Ky Marsh-BrownYellow CardSub
Rob DedaSub
Anesu Sisimayi
Tom Cooklin
Dan Addy