October 13, 2015
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Gosport Borough 1-2 Whitehawk
Tuesday 13 October 2015
Emirates FA Cup Third Qualifying Round Replay
Boro: Ashmore, Wheeler (Brice 87), Williams, Carter, Poate ©, Woodford, Dunford (Ramsey 74), Cuthbertson (White 84), Barker, Bennett, Wooden. Subs: Gerrard, Wilde.
Hawks: Ross, Arnold, Van Den Bogaert, Mendy (Martin 65), Leacock, Gotta, Deering, Torres ©, Robinson (Sessegnon 86), Mills, Neilson (Ijaha 83). Subs: Gaylor, Rose, Ngamvoulou, Stevens.
Shots: GOS 9-12 WHK, Shots On Target: GOS 3-8 WHK, Corners: GOS 2-4 WHK, Fouls Committed: GOS 12-15 WHK, Offside: GOS 1-2 WHK, Bookings: GOS 3-1 WHK, Red Cards: GOS 2-1 WHK.

Attendance: 330
Goals: Barker 5’.

By Anthony Scott

Whitehawk are in the Fourth Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup for only the second time in their history after winning 2-1 at Gosport Borough in an eventful tie.
Boro went ahead early on through George Barker, before both sides went down to ten men in controversial style after Dan Wooden saw red for an apparent off the ball incident, before Nick Arnold saw red for a professional foul.
The Hawks drew level through Scott Neilson, before Boro went down to nine after Justin Bennett saw red for a second bookable offence.
And Steve King’s men made the man advantage count late on, with Jake Robinson’s free kick nine minutes from time giving the Hawks a 2-1 win.
Gosport went ahead early on after a poor clearance from Juan Cruz Gotta fell to George Barker ten yards out, and the former Albion starlet took full advantage of the mistake and fired past the helpless Craig Ross.
However, despite a poor start, the Hawks came close to levelling as Nick Arnold burst forward from right back, but his strike from 25 yards was turned around the post by Nathan Ashmore.
Jake Robinson then released Danny Mills through the middle, and clean through on goal, the striker, who has been in great form of late, could only fire wide from eighteen yards.
The hosts then went down to ten men after an off-the-ball incident when Dan Wooden had an altercation with Scott Neilson, and referee Lloyd Wood sent off the Boro number 11.
The Hawks looked to make the numerical advantage count as Bryan Van Den Bogaert was first to a loose ball 25 yards out, but his goalbound effort was turned onto the bar and over by an outstretched Ashmore, who then denied the former Crawley Town defender from the resulting corner.
Despite that, the Hawks were then reduced to ten men as well when Arnold was dismissed after being last man and bringing down Justin Bennett on the edge of the area – evening up the numbers to ten each.
Bennett then should have made it 2-0 with 34 minutes on the clock after great play from Mike Carter played through the forward, but he couldn’t hit the target.
There was further controversy when Mills did brilliantly to get on the end of a ball forward, got in front of Brett Poate before being clipped inside the area by the Boro skipper. However, the referee somehow awarded the hosts a free kick for simulation against the forward.
Sam Deering then floated in a free kick onto the head of Mills, but the Hawks’ main man saw his looping header drop narrowly over the bar.

Gosport should have made it 2-0 moments into the second half, but Bennett could only blaze over the top when through on goal, and the Hawks made the hosts pay for the missed chance as they drew level six minutes into the second half.
Robinson did well to make room for a shot on the edge of the area, and his goal bound effort was deflected past the helpless Ashmore by Neilson.
Robinson then played a great ball through to Mills as the Hawks looked to take charge, but a great save from Ashmore kept the scores level.
Gosport then struck the woodwork as Tom Dunford was teed up on the edge of the area, but his strike came back off the post with Ross beaten.
The Hawks were then denied by the upright with 67 minutes on the clock. A corner from the right eventually fell to Mills at the far post, but his low drive from ten yards came back off the foot of the near post.
The hosts were then down to nine men as Bennett received a second yellow card with eighteen minutes to go.
The game opened up, with both sides looking to win it. Deering did well to beat one and then two on his way into the area, and then found Robinson, but the striker’s drilled effort came back off the standing Ashmore and away with eleven minutes to go.
And the Hawks went in front, deservedly on the balance of play, nine minutes from time. Deering did well to win a free kick on the edge of the area, and Robinson stepped up and drilled the ball beyond Ashmore and into the top corner.
Borough had a great chance to equalise in added time, as Barker’s ball into the area picked out an unmarked White at the near post, but his glancing header went wide of the far post.


Photos by David Hunt, Cover photo by JJ Waller.


Yellow Card
Red Card



Leave a Reply