Oxford City 0 Whitehawk 1
Omotayo 58’

Shots On Target: 3-6
Shots Off Target: 6-5
Corners: 6-6
Fouls Committed: 8-11
Offside: 2-0
Yellow Cards: 1-2
Red Cards: 0-0

Steve King was full of praise for his Whitehawk side as they registered their second win of the season away at Oxford City.

Gold Omotayo made it five goals in five games with a sublime free-kick which proved to be the difference in a cagey affair at Marsh Lane.

The 1-0 win means it’s now three games unbeaten for the Hawks in a game which also saw them keep their first clean sheet in the National League South this season.

“I felt we were worth the win,” said King after the game.

“Both teams had chances in the first half, and I always felt it would take a moment of quality to decide the game.

“After going ahead, I felt we defended brilliantly and to keep that first clean sheet is great for everyone.

“We have now set our standards, which we will look to improve on moving forward.”

The first clear chance came to the Hawks, as Elliot Benyon played the ball through to Ky Marsh-Brown who broke through on goal, but keeper Craig King was out well to smother the winger’s effort inside ten minutes.

Osa Obamwonyi then went close on his first appearance for the Hawks. Ramone Rose lifted in a free-kick from the right which picked out the towering centre half, but his low header was well saved by the diving King.

However, the Hawks were then indebted to debutant Daniel Wilks in goal, with the keeper coming off his line well to save with his body as Matt Paterson broke clear having beaten the offside trap.

Just after the half hour mark, Wilks was again at his best to deny the hosts. Dave Pearce was given far too much time on the edge of the area and his strike forced the keeper into a fine save to his left.

The Hawks then went close five minutes before the break as Lucas Rodrigues cut in from the right before teeing up Simon Mensah, who saw his low drive deflected just wide of the far corner with King beaten.

The second half started off with both sides looking to keep the ball – something neither did with great success in the first 45.

However, the Hawks broke the deadlock in fine style on the hour. After winning a free-kick in a good area, Gold Omotayo dusted himself down and from 25 yards curled a great shot beyond King’s reach and into the corner.

It could have been two for Steve King’s side moments later, as Benyon picked out Rodrigues who saw his low half volley well saved by the keeper.

Despite further pressure from the hosts as the clock ticked down, it was actually the Hawks who came close to making the game safe late on with Yannis Ambroisine and then substitute Ryan Worrall forcing King into smart saves.

Oxford: King, Jones (Navarro 87), Grant, Poku ©, Stevens, Oastler, McEachran (Peake-Pijnen 80), Fleet, Paterson, Pearce, Oxlade-Chamberlain (Forde 67). Subs: Fofana. Booked: Fleet

Hawks: Wilks, Rose (Lyons-Foster 81), Genovesi, Ijaha ©, Ambroisine, Obamwonyi, Rodrigues, Mensah, Omotayo (Pinney 90), Benyon, Marsh-Brown (Worrall 85). Subs: Walsh, Cadman. Booked: Mensah, Obamwonyi.

Attendance: 232.
Referee: Robert Massey-Ellis