October 28, 2017
Score: 1 - 0

Match Report

The Hawks left Somerset still looking for their first win of the season after a controversial goal on the stroke of half-time from Gethyn Hill settled the game.

Steve King gave a debut in goal to QPR loanee Seny Dieng, with his other new signing Simon Mensah having to be content with a seat on the bench. Ramone Rose returned from injury to replace Fintan Walsh, with Ermal Hajdari getting a first start wide on the right.

The home side enjoyed the bulk of possession in a fairly uneventful first-half. Trying to move the ball on the ground quickly, with Dayle Grubb and Tristan Plummer running from midfield, The Seagulls enjoyed some promising build up play without really troubling Seny Dieng. David Ijaha once more worked over-time in midfield as The Hawks fought to retain their hold in the game.

When called on, Dieng handled confidently and Kodi Lyons-Foster made a number of crucial blocks. When the Hawks did get forward it was Liam Gordon down the left who offered the most promise.

With a minute of stoppage time signalled at the end of the half, Ramone Rose earned a yellow card stopping a Seagulls breakaway, but the danger hadn’t passed. From the resultant free kick, Dayle Grubb went past two challenges down the left and squared into the six-yard box. After a goalmouth scramble, Weston striker Hill claimed the ball had gone over the line, although Dieng had the ball in his hands and cleared downfield. After going back to consult his linesman, referee Alex Blake awarded the goal.

In the second half, The Seagulls seemed content to pass the ball around without being incisive, looking for the occasional ball over the top for Hill, who was proving a danger up front. From a Seagulls corner on 65 minutes, Hill went down under a challenge and despite there being little reaction from the Weston players, the referee pointed to the spot much to the Hawks’ bemusement.

Seagulls skipper Dayle Grubb smashed the penalty in off the underside of the bar, slipping as he did so, only to see referee Blake disallow the goal and award an indirect free kick, with Grubb having kicked the ball twice. Hill was replaced after 70 minutes, as Weston looked to hold onto their lead.

The Hawks pushed forward more towards the end of the game, with Ky Marsh-Brown threatening down the left and sub Brandon Scott making Seagulls full-back Danny Greenslade work hard to keep him in check on the other flank.

Steve King brought on Enoch Andoh for Ramone Rose with five minutes to go and went to three at the back in a bid to take something from their trip to Somerset. The Hawks launched a couple of long free kicks up field which came to nothing, as Weston held on for their fourth win of the season which leaves the Hawks without a win.

Match report: Andy Schofield


Yellow Card
Yellow Card
Ky Marsh-Brown
Yellow Card


Fintan Walsh