November 10, 2015
Score: 1 - 4

Match Report

Whitehawk advanced into the Third Round of the Sussex Senior Cup after a comfortable victory of Southern Combination League side Lancing.

Jake Robinson scored twice for the Hawks, whilst Scott Neilson and an own goal were also on target in a 4-1 win at the new 3G pitch at Culver Road.

Whitehawk, who are holders of the Senior Cup, started on the front foot, but Lancing had the first clear opportunity on the break as Richard Greenfield strode forward before playing through Mike Williamson, but from a tight angle couldn’t hit the target.

The game needed a spark – and it got just that when Scott Neilson broke the deadlock after 33 minutes. Hawks’ number 10 did well to make room on the left, and he cut inside well before finding the far corner.

Jake Robinson then made it 2-0 – received a great ball from Neilson into the area, and after beating Josh Spinks and then Ben Bowra, the forward finished well from eight yards.


Lancing grew into the game in the second half, as Lewis Finney did well to cut inside and beat Nick Arnold, but his strike across goal deflected wide off the outside of the far post, before Liam Hendy headed over from close range.

And the Hawks almost made the visitors pay for their misses when Robinson looked to get in, but from point blank range saw his header well saved by Callum Fidler.

Robinson then made it 3-0 eighteen minutes into the second half. Substitute Sam Deering did well to pick out the striker at the near post, who finished emphatically with a first time strike into the roof of the net.

Three then became four as Dave Sharman turned into his own net with his first touch since coming on as a substitute – diverting Deering’s low cross in at the near post.

Deering then almost made it five, after a great ball through from Danny Stevens played him in, but a fine save from the advancing Fidler prevented a further goal for the Senior Cup holders.

Lancing got the consolation their efforts deserved five minutes from time when Dave O’Callaghan fired into the top corner after failing to be closed down to make it 4-1.


Photos by David Hunt





Leave a Reply