February 25, 2017
Score: 0 - 2

Match Report

Whitehawk picked up their 1st win of 2017 to climb out of the National League South relegation zone after running out 2-0 winners at fellow strugglers Margate, a victory that Hawks boss Andy Woodman was delighted with.

Josh Passley and Glen Southam scored for the visitors to record a much-needed win for the Enclosed Ground side, their first under Woodman.

“I was delighted with the win,” said Woodman after the game.

“It is great to get that first win under our belts, and we have a good chance in the forthcoming games to add to that tally.

“We moved out of the bottom three, now we need to get clear of it.

“I was pleased with how well we moved the ball and although they had their moments, I felt we controlled the game and were unlucky not to win by more.”

Bottom of the table Margate were looking for a response themselves in former Hastings United assistant Steve Watt’s first game in charge following Nikki Bull’s departure last week.

And to the hosts’ credit, they proved hard to break down after a goalless first half, but two goals in three minutes saw the Hawks go on and win.

Lucas Covolan came in for Tom Stewart in goal, and the keeper made a smart save early on to deny Harrison Bennett inside the first five minutes.

However, as the game wore on the Hawks began to take control and Danny Mills was unlucky not to break the deadlock.

Lewis Ward pulled off a great save from point-blank range after a defensive mix up allowed Mills through, before the striker was again through on goal, but dragged his shot wide when most would have backed him to score.

The hosts’ most promising moment came just before the break when former Hawk Chris Sessegnon played a great ball to Ira Jackson, but he curled well over after cutting inside.

The breakthrough eventually came just over ten minutes into the second period, and it was no surprise that it was the Hawks who went ahead.

Passley wasn’t closed down by the home defence as he burst down the left, and from the edge of the area he fired a low drive across goal and into the far corner.

And 1-0 became 2-0 within three minutes as the Hawks increased their advantage.

Ibby Akanbi was allowed to turn in the area and cut the ball back from the byline to Southam, and the Hawks skipper thumped the ball into the roof of the net from close range.

The Hawks went on to close the game out professionally, with Mike West almost adding icing on the cake in added time but Ward made another good save from the substitute.

Hawks line-up: Covolan, Passley (Shepherd 65), Harding, Favarel, Marimon, M’Boungou, Torres, Southam ©, Mills, Akanbi (West 65), Osborn – Subs Not Used: Hobbs (GK), Hyde, Howlett-Mundle

Man of the Match – Glen Southam

Attendance – 504

Pictures by David Hunt. Report by Ant Scott.