May 16, 2015
Score: 0 - 5

Match Report

Any players who want photos, please message via the Contact page on this site.

Sussex FA Parafix Senior Challenge Cup Final

Lewes FC  0 – 5  Whitehawk FC

Saturday 16 May 2015 at The Amex Stadium … Attendance: 2,585

Shots: LEW 2-20 WHK; On Target: LEW 2-11 WHK; Corners: LEW 0-7 WHK; Fouls Committed: LEW 7-9 WHK; Offside: LEW 2-2 WHK. Cautions: LEW 1-1 WHK; Red Cards: LEW 0-0 WHK.

By Anthony Scott …

Whitehawk lifted the Parafix Sussex Senior Cup in style after a five-goal rout of Lewes at the AMEX Stadium.

Goals from Danny Mills, Jordan Rose, Osei Sankofa, Scott Neilson and finally Sam Deering capped a great performance from Steve King’s side, who in truth, dominated throughout.

Steve Brown signs off from Lewes on a defeat, but his side were second best for a large majority, if not all, of the contest in from on 2,585.

The first opportunity presented itself to Whitehawk, but Jordan Rose couldn’t keep his half volley down six minutes in after being first to Scott Neilson’s corner from the right.

The Hawks’ good start continued with Sam Deering firing into the side netting from 20 yards when in space outside the area, before Rikki Banks was called into action for the first time 13 minutes in.

Danny Mills ran onto a long ball and found Nick Arnold, who played a neat one-two with Neilson and drove into the penalty area, but the right back’s left-footed effort was saved low by the keeper.

The Hawks then had a good shout for a penalty turned down as Mills went down under the grasp of Gary Elphick, but referee John Pike was having none of it as played continued.

Centre Back Rose continued to be a threat going forward for Steve King’s side, and the former Stockport defender headed just wide from Jake Robinson’s cross into the area after a corner was only half cleared after 27 minutes.

The breakthrough came just two minutes later when Arnold found Robinson, whose strike from 25 yards produced a stunning save from the outstretched Banks. However, Mills was first to the loose ball and tucked the ball into the far corner from a tight angle.

The Hawks continued to push forward, with Deering firing just wide of the far corner from a tight angle before Rose made it 2-0.

He already had two sights of goal, and it was no surprise to see him get on the end of Arnold’s free kick at the near post to head past the helpless Banks.

Neilson then saw his low shot turned around the post by Banks, before the Conference South Play Off Finalists added a third six minutes before half time.

Neilson’s corner picked out Rose, whose header was headed off the line by Elphick. However, the big centre-half headed the rebound across goal to Mills, who in turn found Osei Sankofa who bundled the ball in from close range.

Despite that, Lewes had their first shot on goal with three first half minutes to go. Nicky Wheeler was played through by Henry Muggeridge, and after cutting inside – past David Ijaha – his effort produced a great save from Craig Ross.

Whitehawk started the second half in the same way they played the first – with Banks called into action just a minute after the restart. Arnold delivered a free kick from the left, and picked out Robinson at the near post but his header was clawed away by the keeper.

Deering then fired just wide at the far post after Neilson crossed the ball in from the right, before David Ijaha saw his deflected shot go just wide of the near post on the hour mark.

Arnold then nearly got on the score sheet when he met Lee Hills’ cross from the left, but his header looped just over the bar.

A fourth goal game with just over 20 minutes to go. Neilson played a neat one-two with substitute Sam Gargan and from inside twelve yards, found space to calmly slot the ball past Banks.

Arnold then fired just wide after being played through by John-Paul Kissock, with Deering forcing Banks into a low save after being picked out by the right back with a ball across.

Muggeridge then forced Ross into only his second save of the match, before Gargan saw his effort come back off the bar after Hills produced a great cross to the far post.

A fifth goal came just before full time, with Arnold cutting the ball across to Deering who was allowed space inside the area, and he slotted the ball past Banks and into the far corner.

Rooks: Banks, Rowe, Cole, M. Crabb, Elphick © (S. Crabb 64), Breach, Rowe-Hurst (Blewden 62), Conlon (Marshall 74), Romain, Muggeridge, Wheeler. Subs: Malins, Taylor.

Photos by David Pillman





One response to “Hawks lift the Sussex Senior Cup in style”

Leave a Reply