August 15, 2018
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

Leatherhead 1-1 Whitehawk
Bostik Premier League: Game 2

The Hawks and Leatherhead played out a competitive 1-1 draw on a warm Summers evening at Fetcham Grove.

The Hawks could have taken a lead after just 2 minutes, but a volleyed effort by Muggeridge went narrowly wide of the near post. Former Hawks striker Elliot Benyon could have put his new side in the lead under 10 minutes in, but he could only hit the side netting, with moments later Melvin Minter showing safe hands to hold a header from Shaun Okojie.

Whitehawk took the lead after 16 minutes after Brannon O’Neill headed in a well struck free-kick by Henry Muggeridge, after a foul on Ky Marsh-Brown on the far side of the pitch. For a large period after, Leatherhead battled to equalise and they were denied a penalty after Shaun Okojie theatrically threw himself to the ground, with Referee Craig Robson rightfully not interested at all. The Tanners did however grab an equaliser 5 minutes before half time, with Okojie smashing home a powerful finish from inside the box, to send us into the break all tied up.

The hosts started the second half the brightest with Robert Cullen shooting just wide after some good build up play. The attacks from Leatherhead continued as Daniel Gallagher forced Minter into a smart save then moments later, a cross by Elliot Benyon narrowly missed an incoming Shaun Okojie. The hosts thought they took the lead after 66 minutes as Leatherhead were adamant that a cross turned shot by Benyon had crossed the line, but the Hawks defence did just enough to clear it and the Assistant Referee was unmoved. Just 4 minutes later the Tanners again thought they had the lead, but a header by Okojie which hit the underside of the crossbar and was then cleared by the Hawks for a corner which came to nothing.

The hosts battled throughout the remainder of the game, but the Hawks stood firm and held on for a well deserved away point.

Tanners: Bull, Salmon, Bozier (Semekula 48′), Drage, Nnamani, Seager, Gallagher, Cullen, Benyon (c), Gregory, Okojie
Subs not used: Richefond, Blake, Dembele, Hippolyte

Hawks: Minter, Walsh, R Marsh-Brown, Hallard, Shooman, Goode, Rodrigues, O’Neill (Emberson 60′), Williams, Muggeridge (c), Ky Marsh-Brown
Subs not used: Sanders, Sisimayi, Broughton, Kwai Marsh-Brown

Goals: Okojie 40′ (Leatherhead); O’Neill 16′ (Whitehawk)

Yellow Cards: Gallagher (Leatherhead); Muggeridge, Ky Marsh-Brown (Whitehawk)

Man of the Match: Harry Shooman

Attendance: 376

Photos HERE


Lucas Rodrigues
Fintan Walsh
Ky Marsh-BrownYellow Card
Harry Shooman
Reece Hallard
Henry MuggeridgeAssistYellow Card
Aaron Goode
Brannon O’NeillGoal
Ronayne Marsh-Brown
Jason Williams
Melvin Minter


Luke EmbersonSub
Kwai Marsh-Brown
Lewis Broughton
Anesu Sisimayi
Ed Sanders