Harlow Town 0-3 Whitehawk

The Hawks moved out of the relegation zone on Saturday after a fantastic 3-0 win away at fellow strugglers Harlow Town.

The Hawks of Whitehawk had the first shot of the game after 7 minutes after some great link-up play by Fintan Walsh and Lucas Rodrigues saw Walsh hit a well-placed cross towards an incoming Nathaniel Pinney, who headed wide. A few minutes later the Hawks of Harlow had their first shot as Tom Hitchcock timed his ball perfectly to play in Matthew Foy who shot narrowly wide. Through the stages that followed both sides continued to exchange possession with not much in the way of chances from either team, though Pinney had a couple of attempts fall narrowly wide of the far post.

The hosts had a fantastic chance after 34 minutes as Foy was once again played in well on the far side and beat the Hawks’ defence, but couldn’t beat Melvin Minter who made a good save to palm the effort away. Whitehawk then responded with a chance of their own a couple of minutes later as captain Henry Muggeridge picked the ball up in acres of space and ran up half the pitch with his attempt on goal falling narrowly wide. On the stroke of half time Matthew Foy who was causing constant problems managed to beat the defence once again and despite a clear handball not being given, he forced Minter into making a brilliant save to keep the scores level at the break.

Harlow could have taken the lead immediately at the start of the second half though Tom Hitchcock tapped wide after a dangerous attack. Whitehawk responded with a couple of chances of their own, firstly with Lucas Rodrigues heading wide a well-timed cross by Henry Muggeridge and then after some brilliant work on the near side by Fintan Walsh saw him play in debutant Duane Ofori-Acheampong who was unable to get a shot away with the Harlow defence bearing down on him. Shortly afterwards Walsh once again was involved in a great play for the Hawks as Matthew Foy was once again in threatening range, but he did brilliantly to dispossess him when it looked like he would surely score.

Whitehawk took a deserved lead after 62 minutes after Lucas Rodrigues, who was moments before receiving treatment after a crunching challenge from Harlow captain Fabion Simms which saw him earn a yellow card, beat numerous defenders to tap across a well-timed ball to Nathaniel Pinney who smashed past a helpless Josh Bexon to make it 1-0 to Whitehawk. Things got even better just 9 minutes later as a huge defensive mix-up by Harlow gave the ball to Connor Tighe, who had only been on the pitch for about 30 seconds, and he lobbed a stranded keeper with his first touch to make it 2-0. The goal had clearly given Tighe a huge confidence boost as just 4 minutes later he hit home a beautifully struck effort home which home keeper Josh Bexon could only get a hand to, sending the travelling Whitehawk fans into dreamland.

From there on out, the Hawks completely dominated Harlow controlling the game well and dealing with the attacks from the home side almost with ease and were able to see out a 3-0 to earn a huge three points.

Harlow: Bexon, Rodgers (Plumpton 90’), Kissi, Udoji, Hastings, Simms ©, Hitchcock (Watkins 80’), Richardson, Aquah, Hackney (Price-Placid 64’), Foy – Subs Not Used: Moanda, Clarke (GK)

Whitehawk: Minter, Walsh, Goode, Muggeridge ©, Ovenden (Ebuzoeme 80’), Christie, Rodrigues, Kissock, Ofori-Acheampong (Tighe 70’), Marsh-Brown, Pinney (Williams 77’) – Subs Not Used: Deda, Watson

Goals: Pinney 62’, Tighe 71’, 75’ (Whitehawk)

Yellow Cards: Kissi, Simms, Aquah (Harlow); Muggeridge (Whitehawk)

Attendance: 308

Whitehawk Man of the Match: Nathaniel Pinney