October 2, 2018
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Dorking Wanderers 2-1 Whitehawk
Bostik Premier League: Game 9

Hawks made two changes for their first ever visit to the Meadowbank ground, Kwai Marsh-Brown replacing his brother Ky on the left-wing and Reece Hallard coming in for the injured James Fraser.

The game started with two yellow cards for the home team inside the first five minutes, as referee Gerry Heron looked to show everyone who was in charge. Wanderers full-back Rob Sheridan was booked for pulling back Kwai Marsh-Brown, as the ref chose not to allow the advantage with the Hawks breaking away. Midfielder Tom Summerfield was then shown yellow for a late tackle in midfield.

The Hawks adapted very well to the synthetic surface. Pressing high up the pitch, they caused Dorking problems in the first twenty minutes, with slick interplay between the forwards. Lucas Rodrigues was particularly prominent down the right, with a fierce shot that tested Huk in the Dorking goal and a cross that only just evaded Henry Muggeridge and Jason Williams. It was no surprise when Williams turned away from his marker in the centre circle, to play in Hallard, whose left foot shot across the advancing keeper found the bottom corner of the net, to give the Hawks a deserved lead.

The game turned just before the half hour. With Williams and Dorking centre-back Philpot having a set to on the touch-line, Hawks played on and the dangerous Rodrigues was felled by a crude challenge from Sam Beard. After a lengthy delay for treatment and an even longer discussion with a number of players, the referee surprisingly took no action. Rodrigues couldn’t carry on and was replaced by Ky Marsh-Brown, with his younger brother switching to the right. Two minutes later, Wanderers got themselves back in the game against the run of play, when Tom Tolfrey finished expertly at the near post after a low cross was fizzed across the box by James McShane.

In the 38th minute, the home team took the lead after Melvyn Minter failed to gather a ball into the box, being dispossessed by Tolfrey, for McShane to score. Two minutes later, things could have got even worse. With the Hawks’ defence again at sea, Tolfrey evaded the challenges of first Aaron Goode and then Minter but failed to convert, as the keeper recovered the ball, only to see referee Heron go back and award a spot-kick for the earlier challenge by Goode. Minter saved Tolfrey’s weak effort down to his left. The half ended with yellow cards for Goode and Williams as the Hawks’ frustration boiled over.

The Hawks dominated the second half, possession-wise, without every really creating any clear-cut chances, with Dorking happy to play on the break. First-half sub Ky Marsh-Brown was causing most of the problems, running in-field from deep and he headed a half-chance over the bar. Brannon O’Neill hit the crossbar with a 25-yard shot on 57 minutes. Tom Cooklin replaced Kwai Marsh-Brown for his league debut in the 66th minute but wasn’t able to make much impact down the right.

The Hawks certainly felt that they weren’t getting the rub of the green with refereeing decisions and both Henry Muggeridge and Matt Drage went into the book for expressing their views. With so many names taken, the previously cautioned Goode was perhaps lucky to remain on the field after he caught McShane with a high boot with ten minutes remaining.

The game erupted again in the 85th minute when some superb inter-passing on the break between Ky Marsh-Brown and Anesu Sisimayi resulted in the latter being crudely chopped down from behind just over the halfway line by Tolfrey. The referee showed the Dorking striker a straight red card as Sisimayi was left limping after treatment.

Despite Harry Shooman and then Goode pushing forward to put pressure on the home side, Dorking were happy to see out the game for the three points. The referee showed his final yellow card of the evening, as the match entered just three minutes of stoppage time, to home keeper Huk for time-wasting.

Wanderers: Huk, Sheridan, Beard, El-Abd (c), Philpot, McManus (Pearce 87′), Moore, Summerfield (O’Sullivan 60′), Lavery (Sole 63′), Tolfrey, McShane
Subs not used: Byett, Boulter

Hawks: Minter, Walsh, Shooman, O’Neill, Goode, Drage, Rodrigues (Ky Marsh-Brown 28′), Muggeridge (c), Williams, Hallard (Sisimayi 84′), Kw Marsh-Brown (Cooklin 66′)
Subs not used: Broughton, Mutongerwa

Goals: Tolfrey 30′, McShane 38′ (Dorking); Hallard 19′ (Whitehawk)

Yellow cards: Huk, O’Sullivan, Summerfield, Sherdian (Dorking); Walsh, Goode, Muggeridge, Drage, Williams (Whitehawk)

Red cards: Tolfrey (Dorking)

Man of the Match: Reece Hallard (Whitehawk)

Attendance: 305

Photos HERE


Lucas Rodrigues
Fintan WalshYellow Card
Kwai Marsh-Brown
Harry Shooman
Reece HallardGoal
Henry Muggeridge
Aaron GoodeYellow Card
Brannon O’Neill
Jason WilliamsAssistYellow Card
Melvin Minter
Matt DrageYellow Card


Ky Marsh-BrownSub
Lewis Broughton
Anesu SisimayiSub
Ashley Mutongerwa
Tom CooklinSub