August 8, 2017
Score: 2 - 3

Match Report

Whitehawk 2-3 East Thurrock United

Tuesday 8th August 2017

National League South

A late fightback and a Connor Tighe brace wasn’t enough for The Hawks as they went down 3-2 against East Thurrock United on Tuesday evening, the 4th consecutive 3-2 scoreline between the two sides.

The first half was uneventful and chances were few and far between, with Pape Gueye coming closest for The Hawks, forcing a low save from Rocks keeper Lidakevicius. East Thurrock also came close with Lewis Smith forcing Alex Tokarczyk into a smart save. Smith however managed to beat Tokarczyk just 6 minutes later on the stroke of Half Time to give East Thurrock a 1-0 lead at the break.

Things got worse for The Hawks just 10 minutes into the Second Half with a penalty being awarded after Liam Gordon fouled Rocks captain Sam Higgins in the box, who in turn then comfortably tucked the penalty away. Whitehawk soon got a goal back as Connor Tighe robbed the ball from the East Thurrock keeper in the box and coolly slotted home from a tight angle. This seemed to inspire The Hawks who nearly levelled just two minutes later, with a speculative effort from Richie Whittingham clipping the outside of the bar.

East Thurrock looked to have sealed a victory 13 minutes from time as substitute Ben Marlow scored from distance to hand them a 3-1 lead. Hawks keeper Alex Tokarczyk pulled off a fantastic double save which turned the game in favour of The Hawks, who pulled another goal back under a minute later, with Connor Tighe scoring with another great finish. Whitehawk piled the pressure on in added time, but time ran out on the brave fightback, but no doubt this will spur The Hawks on to a positive result against Oxford City on Saturday

Whitehawk: Tokarczyk, Wakley (Harding 72′), Gordon, Elliott, Brice, Sanders ©, Rose (Rodrigues 61′), Whittingham (Walsh 78′), Gueye, Tighe, Fenwick

Subs Not Used: Hawkins (GK), Broughton

East Thurrock: Lidakevicius, Ekpiteta, Harris, White, Burns, Allen, Agyemang (Boswell 85′), Cornhill, Higgins ©, Ruel (Marlow 45′), Smith (Honesty 80′)

Subs Not Used: Sammons, Peddie

Goals: Tighe 66′, 87′ (Whitehawk); Smith 45′, Higgins 54′, Marlow 77′ (East Thurrock)

Yellow Cards: Gordon (Whitehawk)

Hawks Man of the Match: Connor Tighe

Attendance: 201

By Tom Harris


AssistYellow Card


Lucas RodriguesSub
Fintan WalshSub
Lewis Broughton