February 17, 2018
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

Whitehawk were dealt late heartbreak after being denied all three points at Bath City on Saturday. 

Yannis Ambroisine’s first goal for the club looked to put the Hawks, who were controversially reduced to ten men, on the road to three welcome points. 

However, Andy Watkins’ added time header saw the hosts earn a share of the spoils. 

The Hawks made one change to the team that faced Hampton & Richmond last weekend, with Ramone Rose coming into the starting line-up. 

It was a cagey start at Twerton Park, with Miles Welch-Hayes’ low ball into the area just about evading everyone on its way through the Whitehawk penalty area before Nat Jarvis blazed an effort well over the bar. 

Rose then did well to win the ball in midfield before seeing an effort dip just over the top as the Hawks grew into the game, before they went close to taking the lead. 

21 minutes were on the clock when Kodi Lyons-Foster whipped in a great ball from the right which picked out Elliot Benyon at the far post. The striker looped his header over Luke Southwood, but Jack Batten covered his keeper to hook off the line. However, Benyon and others nearby were adamant the ball had crossed the line, with the linesman waving playing on. 

However, the Hawks had to wait just two minutes to break the deadlock. Sam Chaney fired in a low free-kick which picked out Ambroisine, who beat his marker before firing a great low volley which gave Southwood no chance. 

Bath bounced back however, with Tom Smith forcing Dan Wilks into a save before the first of several moments of controversy followed. Caden Genovesi produced what seemed to most to be a fine tackle to win the ball from Jack Compton, but referee Ben Cooke pointed to the penalty spot. 

Compton dusted himself down, but Wilks was equal to his fierce drive from twelve yards to leave the Hawks feeling justice was done. 

Steve King’s side should have doubled their lead early into the second half, with Benyon producing a great cross after a run down the right and picking out an unmarked Nathaniel Pinney at the far post, but from eight yards he saw his effort crash back off the bar. 

Andy Watkins came on as a substitute early in the second period, and almost made his mark when his audacious effort had to be tipped around the post by the alert Wilks, before the visitors were reduced to ten men. 

Having came on with 65 minutes on the clock, Zach Fagan was booked within two minutes before he found himself picking up a second yellow card with nine minutes to go. After beating Anthony Straker to a ball across, Fagan was caught by the trailing leg of the full-back but for some reason Cooke opted to award Bath the free-kick and give Fagan his marching orders.  

With six minutes of added time indicated, the Hawks continued to restrict Bath to half chances, with Watkins and then Smith firing off target before the Romans dealt the visitors a killer blow in added time. 

Compton was allowed to cut in from the right and his ball in picked out Watkins, whose glancing header gave Wilks no chance on its way in off the post. 

The clock showed 97 minutes when Bath had a chance to win all three points. A great ball from the impressive James Morton put Compton through on goal, but one on one he was denied by a fine save from Wilks. 

Pic: Simon Howe


Yellow Card
Yellow Card


Yellow CardRed CardSub