Whitehawk 2-2 Bognor Regis Town
Omotayo 44(P)’, Mensah 78’; Muitt 66’ 72’.

The spoils were shared between the bottom two of the National South after Whitehawk and Bognor Regis Town played out an entertaining draw.

Steve King’s side certainly showed character to battle back having surrendered their half-time lead, and it is a big sign that things are on the up. A few weeks ago, maybe the Hawks would have capitulated having gone 2-1 down, but not this side.

James Muitt’s brace saw Bognor overturn a 1-0 deficit at the break after Gold Omotayo’s penalty, but Simon Mensah struck twelve minutes from time to earn the Hawks a point in an entertaining all-Sussex clash.

The Rocks started the first half on the front foot, with Kristian Campbell picking out Ben Swallow at the far post but his header went narrowly wide.

Jack Pearce’s men then should have gone ahead when Harvey Whyte was left unmarked but could only head wide from six yards.

As the half progressed, the Hawks grew into the game and went close as David Ijaha saw his low drive go just past the post before Ramone Rose saw his deflected effort dip just over the bar.

King’s men, buoyed by a New Year’s Day win at Eastbourne, then went ahead just before the break. Substitute Ryan Worrall did well to drive into the area before being bundled over by Sami El-Abd, with Gold Omotayo converting the resulting penalty.

Shooting down the slope in the second half, Bognor again started well. James Muitt turned well before seeing his drive come off the top of the bar before the striker drew his side level.

Ibra Sekajja went through on goal only to see his effort well saved by Garry Malone, but the loose ball dropped to Muitt who made no mistake when presented with an empty net.

And the Rocks then took the lead as Muitt ran on to a fine ball through and one on one finished emphatically.

However, moments after Muitt missed the chance to seal the points, Whitehawk drew level. Debutant Worrall did well to find Simon Mensah on the edge of the area, and he turned well before his low drive found the bottom corner.

Both sides went for the win, but neither could get that elusive third goal and the points were shared.

Whitehawk: Malone, Rose (Walsh 69), Genovesi, Ijaha, Fagan, Ambroisine, Rodrigues, Mensah, Omotayo, Benyon, Marsh-Brown (Worrall 21). Subs: Cadman, Pinney, Obamwonyi.

Bognor: Lincoln, Davies, Campbell, Tuck, El-Abd, Adebowale, Whyte, (Scutt 89), Beck (Block 73), Muitt, Sekajja (Charman 90), Swallow. Subs: Lea.

Attendance: 429.