September 15, 2015
Score: 2 - 3

Match Report

Tuesday 15th Sept. 2015             Conference National South

Havant & Waterlooville FC 2 – 3 Whitehawk FC

Good form – drama – results …. continue.

Whitehawk maintained 5th place in the league table with an exciting late winner.

Whitehawks first half form suggested that they would soon be out of sight, such was their flowing, incisive football – with Sam Deering and David Martin being particularly penetrative with Sergio Torres at the heart of many moves.  Scott Neilson was running at the heart of the defence every time he got the ball and Havant & Waterlooville were finding it hard to stop him.

The Sussex side were constantly probing the home defence and David Martin, whose marker will be glad to see the back of him, was continually testing the home keeper with long range efforts aimed and utilising the slippery top surface.

Whitehawk took the lead in the 13th minute with a move which  started from Craig Ross, in goal, finding Nick Arnold whose threaded through ball found Shamir Fenelon who did the hard work and squared for Danny Mills to tap in.

Whitehawk, with maybe their best performance of the season, created so many chances but couldn’t increase their 1 goal lead.  Almost predictably H&W equalised (on 38 minutes) when Stock found a way through the visitor’s defence.

HT 1-1

Whitehawk’s slick play continued and their domination of the game was plain to see.

Football watchers would have been in disbelief to see H&W then take the lead through Paterson!

The score remained at 2-1 in favour of the hosts until 6 minutes from time.

Whitehawk are never finished …

Manager Steve King: “The way we played we should have been out of sight in the 1st half some of our football was as good as you will see anywhere, but we never killed them off and they took one of the few chances they had.  But we dug in and thoroughly deserved to win the game.”

Whitehawk had adjusted well to the slightly heavy but very wet surface.  But substitute Jake Robinson, recently joining the game from the bench, found it hard to adjust quickly and put a free kick into the car park as he lost both feet and ended up sitting down.

Minutes later, the 84th of the game, Robinson had adjusted, and from the edge of the box found the split second needed to calmly pick out the top right corner of the net, for a very deserved equaliser.  The travelling supporters managed to make more noise than they had been all evening – not easy.

Still surging forward constantly.  Whitehawk scored the winner in the 2nd of 4 added minutes.  Scott Neilson putting the ball ‘low and in the corner’ after another mazey run

Another absolutely engaging and entertaining game – make sure you bring your friends for the next home instalment.

Photos by David Hunt


Yellow Card



Leave a Reply