Hemel Hempstead FC 0 – 2 Whitehawk FC

Manager Steve King:

“I’m obviously happy with the 3 points, but very pleased with keeping a clean sheet.”

“We will slowly get better.     We did ok as a team.”

Today was always about the 3 points.”

The game got off to fast start when John Sullivan in the Whitehawk goal had to make a fingertip diving save in the 1st minute.  Hawks then went up the other end with John-Paul Kissock, Jake Robinson and Lee Hills combined to create an opening.

Chance were being created by the visitors, but with Hemel having the advantage of the slight slope, a good wind and a seemingly shortish pitch – it was always going to be some amoutn of aerial bombardment.  The recalled Tom Cadmore partnering Paul Lorraine in central defence stood firm.

Chance came at both ends and in the 25 minute Hawks’ keeper Sullivan again had to make an acrobatic save from a good Hemel free kick.

Probably the best chance of the half came in the 39th minute when, after good work from Jake Robinson, Matthew Barnes-Homer and John-Paul Kissock it was Sergio Torres who  fired straight at the Hemel goalkeeper when very well placed.  The tempo of the game increased and Hemel’s no.11 had a decent chance at the other end soon after.

HT 0 – 0

Jake Robinson hit a great shot after 51 minutes that the keeper tipped onto the bar.  Soon after Matthew Barnes-Homer found his shot smoothered by two defenders as the Hawks had more and more of the game.  However in their keeness they were occasionally caught offside by the hign line that Hemel played.

Jake Robinson controlled and looked after a long ball and with Sam Deering played in Osei Sankofa whose shot was well saved for a corner.

A stream of half chances followed including a disallowed goal by Barned-Homer (offside) on the hour.  On 64 minutes Whitehawk made a doube substition: Danny Mills and Sergio Makofo coming on for Matthew Barnes-Homer and Jake Robinson.

Hemel’s no.5 blocked a good shot from Sergio Makofo from close range, after Danny Mills had won a good knock down – this on 71 minutes.

On 80 minutes the Hemel keeper lost the ball while taking it upfield – but the ball wouldn’t go in the net.  Two minutes later he had to jump with Danny Mills for a high dropping ball – Mills bravely won the aerial challenge and looped the ball in the net – to celebrate in front of the travelling supporters.

5 minutes later (87 minutes) Sergio Makofo had a good run down the left wing, he lost the ball and then won it back and took the ball into the penalty area – and was clearly fouled.

Sam Deering took the penalty for a 0-2 lead.

Whitehawk made their final substitution on 89 minutes when Pa Saikou Kujabi replace JP Kissock.

Final score 0 – 2

Danny Mills celebrates the first goal in front of Whitehawk supporters.


One response to “First Points of the Season for Hawks”

  1. Anonymous says:

    Well done!
    Let's hope it continues.

Leave a Reply