October 13, 2014
Score: 4 - 1

Match Report

FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round Replay                       Monday 13th October 2014-10-14

Chelmsford City FC 4 – 1 Whitehawk Fc

Attendance 576


After the drama and excitement of the 4-4 draw 2 days ago, this turned out to be a huge disappointment for Whitehawk.

The visitors were hopeful of a better result this time, with the return of Tom Cadmore to centreback which allowed Osei Sankofa to return to his preferred position of right fullback.

Heavy rain throughout much of the day had led to a 15.30hrs pitch inspection and a decision was taken to ‘give it a go and hope for no more rain’.   Unfortunately the match went ahead and Whitehawk would again find themselves 2-0 down early in the game, and , this time down to 10 men as well … there would be no great comeback this time.

It was fairly even early on and after 18 minutes Sergio Torres, who had just won the ball back on the halfway line, received the ball again some distance from goal and let go a terrific shot which dipped just in front of the keeper and thumper against the foot of the upright – the keeper getting a crucial touch.

Shortly after this Sam Deering was narrowly wide with his attempt from a free kick.

But it all changed on 29 minutes when the hosts broke away and scored through Joe Ward, Whitehawk players protested strongly that the home side no.10 Michael Cheek had ‘simulated’ a dive in the build up and then somehow been allowed to continue and cross for the goal.

The referee continued to disappoint every travelling supporter for the rest of the game, with a seemingly one-way flow of decisions.

A few minutes later Whitehawk were again looking down the barrel as Osei Sankofa was sent off. Although there was another defender (Exodus) on the other side of the fouled Chelmsford man – in a sandwich – Sankofa was adjudged to be the ‘last man’. No hesitation and Whitehawk have yet another straight red. Christian Smith scores the penalty with Lewis Ward very nearly getting to the well stuck shot. 10 men and 2-0 down.

Could there be another great comeback? Danny Mills fired hard and low through a crowded penalty area to make it 2-1 after 40 minutes. Moments later a free kick for Whitehawk had the home keeper tipping Torres’ shot around the post.

HT 2-1

Early in the second half a defending back header so nearly lets in Jake Robinson. After 53 minutes Chelmsford Lee Sawyer is allowed to run along the Whitehawk penalty area before lashing in the 3rd goal. It gets worse for Whitehawk 3 minutes later when, from a free kick given when Sergio Torres had clearly won the ball and put it out for a corner – however a free kick is given and somehow Joe Ward hits a terrific shot straight into the top far corner of the net … 4-1

The rest of the game see Whitehawk’s neat passing build-up play mostly end with poor final passes and offside. A flurry of chances are created by the home side and the young loanee keeper Lewis Ward keeps the score vaguely respectable with a succession of very good stops.

David Ijaha collects another (of the 4) cards for an almost identical foul that brought nothing for the hosts in the first half.

Tiring front runners Danny Mills and Jake Robinson are replaced with Serge Makofo and Sam Gargan – who collects a card himself, he did get the ball but was penalised for going through the opponent too.

The hard working Sergio Torres is replaced by Ahmed Abdulla. Chelmsford hit the post with a great strike. Hawks’ keeper Lewis Ward continues to keep the scoreline down with more good saves and gets a little respect from the home fans who had been giving the keeper a hard time.

That’s it for the FA Cup this season – good luck to Chelmsford who will now host Barnet who are the current Conference table toppers.





Leave a Reply