thanks to Robert Walkley for the pictures

November 8, 2014
Score: 2 - 3

Match Report

Saturday 9th November 2014

St Albans City FC 2 – 3 Whitehawk FC

Attendance: 458

St Albans were a physically strong outfit who looked like they might cause problems with corners and giant throw-ins into the box, which Whitehawk dealt with.  Once Whitehawk got their passing game in motion there seemed like there was only going to be one winner today.  The final score didn’t really reflect the visitor’s superiority.

With Whitehawk a goal ahead and and getting the second important strike before half time, it seemed that the job was half done.  But even though the Hawks were pegged back, Jake Robinson retrieved the 2 goal lead, only for a penalty to narrow the margin again and Whitehawk having to see out a very tense final quarter of the game.

Here’s the goal action … from a corner in the 27th minute the ball was moved to Sergio Torres on the edge of the penalty area and his pass split the defence to find Osei Sankofa, the defender finishing like a quality striker to push the ball under the St Albans’ keeper Joe Welch.

In the 40th minute, a great 6 pass move ended with Gerardo Blanco finding the advancing right back Nick Arnold who crossed a wonderful ball to the back post for Danny Mills to head firmly across the keeper … 2-0.

Looking comfortable, and the next goal being vital …. against the run of play: Geoff Mitchell scored for the home side shortly after the break, to make it 2-1.

Fortunately 10 minutes later Jake Robinson curled in another of his ‘Specials’ from just outside the box to restore the 2 goal cushion. Just before this Danny Mills had a terrific flying header, from another Nick Arnold cross, ruled out for offside.  A little earlier Jake Robinson had another goal strangely disallowed after the referee gave an advantage decision in favour of St Albans, then, a bad first touch by their goalkeeper Jake Robinson took the ball off him and scored.  Surprisingly the referee then pulled play back to the orignal decision and disallowed the goal.  That goal and a scoreline of 4-1 would certainly have sealed the result.

Whitehawk were caught offside a number of times today.

With just over 10 minutes remaining St Albans were awarded a penalty ( which John Frendo scored).  Whitehawk protested, and it didn’t look like anyone else appealed for the spot kick, but it did make for a worrying final 10 minutes as balls hurtled into the Whitehawk box. Previously the visitors had looked capable of putting this result beyond doubt much earlier.

thanks to Robert Walkley for the pictures


John Frendo slots home from the spot for St Albans.

Picture: Leigh Page, Courtesy of the Herts Advertiser





Leave a Reply