2015/2016 Season Review – Part Two: August 2015

Following the end of the season, we will be taking a month by month look at how the eventful 2015/2016 season panned out for The Hawks, starting from Pre-Season in Summer 2015, right up to the Playoffs at the end of the season. In this first part, we will look at how Pre-Season 15/16 unfolded for The Hawks.

In Part Two, we will take a look at the first month of our campaign in the National League South, a busy month in which The Hawks played 7 times.

First up for The Hawks was a trip to relegation candidates Hayes and Yeading United, who were still ground sharing with Maidenhead United. The match started badly for The Hawks, going 1-0 down after just 3 minutes. Shortly afterwards, captain Lee Hills was stretchered off with a serious knee injury, an injury which would keep him out for the rest of the season. Things then got much worse as Arnaud Mendy received a second yellow card as Hayes made it 2-0, though the hosts themselves had a player sent off just one minute later. Jake Robinson grabbed a goal back for The Hawks. Hayes increased their lead again to make it 3-1, but Sergio Torres scored to make it 3-2 at halftime. The Hawks dominated the Second Half, and 2 goals within 3 minutes sealed a dramatic 4-3 opening day win for The Hawks.

The first game at Home in the 15/16 season was against newly-promoted Margate and The Hawks took control of the game in the first half, leading 2-0 at the break courtesy of a brace from Jake Robinson. Margate however came back into the game in the second half and levelled the game up to make it 2-2 at fulltime. A couple of days later, The Hawks added experienced winger David Martin to the squad, following his release by Stevenage. Martin would make his debut just a few days later at Home against Bath City.

Bath came into the game with a 100% record in their 2 games played and they left The Enclosed Ground with that record intact after defeating The Hawks 1-0. The Hawks next had a Tuesday night trip along the coast to Gosport Borough. All the action happened in the second half and Scott Neilson and a Sam Deering penalty put The Hawks 2-0 up. However, Gosport came back into the game and it ended in another 2-2 draw.

The 22nd August was a devastating day for Sussex as 11 people were killed a short distance away from The Enclosed Ground in the Shoreham Air Crash. That day The Hawks also took on Chelmsford City, with goals from Deering, Mills and a brace by Scott Neilson sealing a win.

The August Bank Holiday weekend provided 2 testing games for The Hawks against the eventual top-2 finishing teams, Ebbsfleet United and Sutton United. Shortly before these games however, The Hawks made further additions to the squad, firstly the signing of Belgian Defender Bryan Van Den Bogaert from Crawley Town and secondly the loan signing of former Brighton youngster Shamir Fenelon, who also signed from Crawley Town for a month.

First up was a trip to North Kent and for the 3rd time already this season, a 2-0 Hawks lead, with goals from Sam Deering and David Ijaha, being cancelled out by Ebbsfleet to hand The Hawks another 2-2 draw.

The final game in August was on Bank Holiday Monday with The Hawks earning a 2-0 win over eventual League Champions Sutton United, goals from Danny Mills and loanee Shamir Fenelon putting The Hawks 8th in the league at the end of the month.

In the next month, The Hawks FA Cup Campaign begins, as well as 4 league games.