March 4, 2017
Score: 1 - 0

Match Report

Whitehawk took a giant stride to National League South survival after beating Welling United for the third time this season.

After winning at Park View Road in both league and cup, Frankie Sutherland’s strike six minutes from time gave the Hawks a 1-0 win to move five points clear of the bottom three.

Both sides had chances in the first half, with Sergio Torres shooting straight at Chris Lewington before Vas Karagiannis fired a free-kick in a good area over the top.

Ali Fuseini then headed against the bar as Welling pushed forward, with Danny Waldren beating Dan Harding but failing to hit the target.

The Hawks then went close before the break as Danny Mills was put through by Torres, but after beating the keeper, a great clearance from Jordon Brown kept the scores level.

Andy Woodman’s side started the better in the second period, with Ibby Akanbi finding Josh Passley who could only find the side netting before Akanbi himself was denied by a block from a Wings defender.

Passley was then denied by the offside flag after tapping in Ramon Marimon’s flick on, before Marimon headed narrowly wide from a corner.

However, Sutherland struck just six minutes from time – the former Woking midfielder striking home a free-kick from 25 yards.

The game was marred late on after the referee failed to send off Michael Thalassitis despite the forward punching Harding, but nonetheless the Hawks picked up all three points for their first home win since the end of October.

Hawks: Covolan, Passley, Harding, West, Marimon, Reid, Torres, Southam (Sutherland 66), Mills, Akanbi, Osborn. Subs: M’Boungou, Favarel, Shephard, Hyde. Booked: Osborn, Akanbi, Southam.

Wings: Lewington, Fish, Brown, Fuseini, Hayles, Francis, Karagiannis (Crawford 55), Waldren, Slabber (Cathline 17), Thalassitis, Murrell-Williamson (Walker 55). Subs: Richards, Leacock.

Attendance: 370

Referee: M. Whaley
Man of the Match: Sergio Torres (Whitehawk)


Yellow Card
Yellow Card