November 23, 2015
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

A late strike from Josh Hutchinson denied Whitehawk all three points at Wealdstone.

Two goals from Danny Mills saw the Hawks come from behind to go 2-1 up with twenty minutes to go, but only for the Stones to rally late on and earn a point at Grosvenor Vale.


The Hawks started on the front foot, with Sam Deering firing just over the top from 20 yards before the midfielder’s corner picked out Juan Cruz Gotta in the six yard box, but his firm header came back off the bar.

Steve King’s side, which included defender Paul Lorraine for the first time in over twelve months after injury, continued to press forward, with Deering off target after Jake Robinson failed to test Jonathan North inside the opening fifteen minutes.

Despite their early dominance, the Hawks fell behind seventeen minutes in. Bradley Hudson-Odoi did well to get the ball in from the left, and it eventually dropped to Jonny Wright who fired beyond Craig Ross and into the far corner from inside twelve yards.

Craig Braham-Barrett then had a decent shout for a penalty turned down after a push by Oliver Duffy, but the referee waved them away abruptly. North was then forced into action for the first time, saving Deering’s curling effort at the second attempt.

At the other end, Ross was forced into a good save after Elliott Godfrey tried his luck from 25 yards, before the visitors turned the screw as the first half drew to a close.

Scott Neilson played a good ball into the area and picked out Dean Leacock, whose header was deflected goalwards, but keeper North somehow kept the ball from crossing the line.

Then, moments later, Danny Mills worked his way through on goal, but a great tackle from Tom Hamblin prevented him from getting a shot away.


It was more of the same in the second half, as Robinson played the ball through to Chris Sessegnon but North came out well to block the winger’s attempt inside ten yards.

However, the Stones gave Whitehawk a reminder ten minutes into the half when Ross did well to keep out Matt Ball’s effort from inside the area, before the midfielder’s ball across the face of goal evaded everyone on its way out for a goal kick.

Despite that, the Hawks deservedly drew level before the hour mark. Deering played a great ball through to Mills, who stayed onside and finished well from ten yards, slotting the ball beyond the advancing North.

Mills then saw the Hawks go in front with his second midway through the second half. Great play from Braham-Barrett saw the loanee deliver a great cross to pick out Mills, who rose highest to head past North.

Cue changes from both teams, with the Hawks setting up defensively in an attempt to hold on to their lead, but couldn’t see the game out deep into stoppage time.

Into the third of five added minutes, and a short Wealdstone corner set up Ball, who whipped the ball in and picked out an unmarked Josh Hutchinson, and the substitute glanced the ball into the far corner.

Shots: WLD 4-13 WHK, Shots On Target: WLD 3-5 WHK, Corners: WLD 4-5 WHK, Fouls Committed: WLD 9-2 WHK, Offside: WLD 0-1 WHK, Bookings: WLD 2-0 WHK, Red Cards: WLD 0-0 WHK.


Photos by David Hunt






Leave a Reply