April 1, 2017
Score: 2 - 3

Match Report

Andy Woodman was delighted after watching his Whitehawk side claim all three points at East Thurrock United.

Danny Mills scored the winning goal as the Hawks came from behind to win 3-2 at the FutureFuel Stadium.

Tom Wraight put the hosts ahead, before goals from Bradley Woods-Garness and Alex Osborn put Woodman’s side ahead in the second half.

Despite Wraight then scoring his and the Rocks’ second, Mills stepped up eight minutes from time to lift the Hawks four points clear of the bottom three.

“I am delighted we were able to see the game out,” said Woodman after the game.

“We defended poorly twice today, and allowed them to score two soft goals that we should have done better with.

“However, credit to the lads who kept battling out there, and ultimately got their reward.

“It’s three more points that we needed – and hopefully we will add more to our tally next weekend.”

Despite an even start, the Hawks fell behind just shy of the 15-minute mark. Reece Harris was allowed to dribble down the right before pulling the ball across the face of goal to give Wraight a tap-in at the far post.

The visitors, however, kept plugging away, with Frankie Sutherland seeing a great free-kick tipped over the bar by an outstretched Lukas Lidakevicius before they drew level after the half hour.

Mike West was allowed to bring the ball forward before teeing up Woods-Garness, who beat a defender before his first-time drive found the far corner from the edge of the area.

And the Hawks went ahead just six minutes into the second period. Dan Harding’s ball in was only headed clear as far as Osborn, who cut inside from the right before firing low past Lidakevicius and into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Substitute Ibby Akanbi then should have done better after running on to Osborn’s long ball. After taking it past the advancing keeper, his scuffed effort was cleared by Marvin Ekpiteta.

It was a chance that Woodman’s side were made to rue missing just moments later as the hosts drew level. After giving the ball away cheaply, Kehi Akinwande was given time to pick out an again unmarked Wraight at the far post, who couldn’t miss.

The Hawks then spurned a great chance to go ahead when Mills forced a good save from Lidakevicius before hitting the bar with the rebound, only for the Hawks’ top scorer to redeem himself eight minutes from time.

Glen Southam played a great ball through to Mills, who held off his marker before firing low past the keeper and into the far bottom corner.

Report by Ant Scott. Pictures by David Hunt.