A great performance saw Whitehawk seal their first win of the National League South season away at local rivals Eastbourne Borough.

After going behind to Gavin McCallum’s header, the Hawks produced a fine fightback, certainly uncharacteristic of their lowly league position.

Gold Omotayo scored twice, with substitute Elliot Benyon marking his debut with a fine goal before Ky Marsh-Brown sealed the 4-1 win late on.

It was the hosts who started on the front foot. Kane Wills let fly from outside the area early on, but the ball whistled just past the post with Seny Dieng beaten.

Borough then should have taken the lead just after the 15 minutes. Yemi Odubade burst through on goal and one on one with the keeper, saw his effort well saved by the legs of Dieng.

However, the hosts did break the deadlock just moments later. Wills floated a ball in from the right and picked out McCallum, who was left unmarked to head in from six yards.

Despite that, the Hawks drew level just before the half hour mark. Nassim L’Ghoul whipped in a corner from the right and Gold Omotayo rose highest at the near post and powered a header past Mark Smith.

And despite a bright start by the hosts to the second half, it was Whitehawk who went in front after 54 minutes. Simon Mensah saw his low drive saved by Smith, but Omotayo was first to the loose ball to fire in from inside six yards.

McCallum then tried his luck, but only to fire over the bar after Elliot Benyon came on for his Hawks debut in place of former Borough forward Nathaniel Pinney.

Borough continued to press in search of an equaliser, with substitute Jack Richards cutting inside past Ramone Rose but only to see his low strike turned away by the outstretched Dieng.

With fifteen minutes to go the Sports threw their last roll of the dice with Lloyd Dawes coming on in place of defender Will Hendon, with Odubade heading wide soon after from a great position.

However, with Borough pushing forward, the Hawks looked dangerous on the counter attack as David Ijaha showed great skill to beat a defender before his low drive was deflected wide of the near post.

And Whitehawk then went 3-1 up in style. L’Ghoul whipped in a great corner from the right and picked out Benyon at the far post, and the striker made his mark on his debut – volleying in from twelve yards into the roof of the net.

And the visitors went into dreamland just two minutes later. Ky Marsh-Brown robbed Ian Simpemba of the ball inside his own half, before cutting inside from the left and his low drive found the far corner to make it four.

Borough: (4-4-2): Smith, Khinda-John (Udoji 31), Haran, Simpemba, Hendon (Dawes 76); Wills, Ransom (Richards 61), Torres (C), McCallum, Okojie, Odubade. Subs: Johnson, Pickering.

Hawks: (4-4-2): Dieng; Rose, Fagan, Ambroisini, Cadman; L’Ghoul (Rodrigues 85), Ijaha, Chaney (Mensah 43), Marsh-Brown; Pinney (Benyon 61), Omotayo. Subs: Walsh, Obamwonyi. Booked: Rose, Cadman, Dieng.

Shots: 11-10
On Target: 4-7
Corners: 3-2
Fouls Committed: 11-12
Offside: 1-3

Report by Anthony Scott