Whitehawk are in the hat for Monday’s draw, but only after a stoppage time equaliser kept their FA Cup hopes alive against Gosport.

The Hawks got the dream start, as Sam Deering’s second minute corner picked out Danny Mills, who lost his marker and headed home to continue his great scoring run of late.

Mills then should have scored a second just minutes later when Deering played the ball through to the striker, who beat the offside flag but one on one with Ashmore saw his effort saved well by the keeper low to his right.

Deering continued to provide for his side throughout the first half, with his ball through finding Dave Martin, but he could only lift the ball over the top.

Ashmore then reacted well to keep out Nick Arnold’s effort from range, before the keeper turned Deering’s deflected effort around the post to keep the score at 1-0 at half time.

In a less eventful start to the second period, Gosport had their first shot with 65 minutes on the clock, with Tom Dunford’s strike deflected straight to Craig Ross in the Hawks goal.

Ross was then at his best to deny sub George Barker, with the Hawks keeper turning his strike from inside the area around the far post with twenty minutes to go.

However, the game turned on its head in a bizarre two minute spell. Barker found space just inside the area, and he gave Ross no chance with a great strike to draw Gosport level.

And the visitors weren’t done there, as no more than a minute later, Justin Bennett put Boro ahead, firing low into the far corner.

Mills then forced Ashmore into a save as the Hawks looked to get back into the game, with Jake Robinson and then Scott Neilson coming on as the hosts changed to a more attacking formation.

The Hawks came close to drawing level when Martin saw a free kick come back off the post, before Ross did well to save from Mike Carter at the other end before the midfielder struck the base of the post from 25 yards.

Mills then went close with a header from Martin’s cross, before Robinson’s effort was saved by the diving keeper with four minutes to go.

Ashmore was then at his best to turn Arnaud Mendy’s header destined for the top corner over the top, before the Hawks made their pressure count in the third minute of added time. Neilson floated the ball into the area and Mills rose highest to head back across Ashmore and into the far corner.


Hawks: Ross, Arnold, Sessegnon (Neilson 81), Ijaha (Robinson 75), Leacock, Van Den Bogaert, Deering, Torres, Mendy, Mills, Martin (Stevens 87). Subs: Ngamvoulou, Rose, Gayler, Gotta.

Boro: Ashmore, Cuthbertson, Williams, Carter, Poate, Woodford, Dunford, Ramsey (White 66), Wort (Barker 17), Bennett, Wooden. Subs: Wilde, Wheeler, Brice, Gerrard.

Shots: WHK 12-5 GOS, Shots On Target: WHK 9-4 GOS, Corners: WHK 9-5 GOS, Fouls Committed: WHK 12-14 GOS, Offside: WHK 1-0 GOS, Bookings: WHK 1-2 GOS, Red Cards: WHK 0-0 GOS.

Leave a Reply